David: Antics = my life

Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Using scripture to steal...

I coworker shared about a family member using Paul's reference of performing good works to take his stuff, like clothes. They looked back at the scripture about turning the other cheek and giving clothes to those in need to justify taking stuff from my coworkers house. This was my letter to him later that day:

"Done with business, onto fellowship today. I felt that your brother using scripture to take things from you stems not from the scripture itself, but your relationship with him. Perhaps that is the heart of the matter, in the sense that there may be unresolved issues/ hurts/ bitterness from the past. It's hard to imagine someone using a passage that clearly encourages love as a tool for greed and right out theft except if the scripture is not the issue on hand. Or perhaps I'm speaking out of place, since I know nothing about your relationship with your brother except for the few words you said today.

Nevertheless, I feel that our witness and relationship with others can be so loving. I know I'm young and idealistic (and naive), but I'd like people to look at me beyond a "not bad" person and see Christ by our passion/ caring/ love for other brothers and for the lost. For me, it's not enough for people to not see me as evil, that's just the tip of the iceberg. The rest is showering them with love.

Most importantly, I write this letter as a word of encouragement because of your heart for your family. They will be in my prayers as well. It's a blessing for us to have fellowship like we do every once in a while. Thank you for your questions and wisdom, my brother.

With you eternally,
David An

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home