David: Antics = my life

Thursday, December 07, 2006

I'm a freelance English editor in my spare time. I get paid to grade papers and grad school essays written by Taiwanese students with terrible grammar skills. Here is an example of what I have to edit:

Written by an English teacher: "The SLT promotes through the way of the scenario emulation and the role play, making up the imperfection of traditional English teaching and learning environment, let student through right pronounce euphonic imitation, and role play, learn immediately to use immediately, not only produce the ego of learning affirmation, also ability English conversation lesson well exertive, then reach English the final target of the teaching-all-directions English vocational training."

What the heck is this?! I can't make sense of it. It's beyond editing. I end up rewriting it and making up half of their paper for them. It should be illegal for her to teach anyone English. Funny, but sad.

After some magic, the above statement becomes:

"This research is a successful attempt at documenting substantial evidence to validate the SLT English learning method. The author researched, compiled and inquired into matters concerning the related theories of SLT, then analyzed the relation of learning type and learning results using SLT in the classroom. This research shows that SLT can really improve a student’s learning attitude and performance."

Yes, I am a magician.

More on this type of thing at www.engrish.com, one of my favorite sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home