David: Antics = my life

Monday, June 07, 2004

A particular verse that has been on my heart since my QT yesterday has been 2 Tim 2:11...

11Here is a trustworthy saying:
If we died with him,
we will also live with him;
12if we endure,
we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
he will also disown us;
13if we are faithless,
he will remain faithful,
for he cannot disown himself.

In particular, I struggled with the last two verses because they seem so contradictory at face value. If we disown him, he will disown us; but if we are faithless, he will still remain faithful!? It would make more superficial sense if disowning was mutual along with faithlessness or vice versa, but it's not. I realized that it's because of the issue of ownership, which is so different than faithfulness. The difference between the two concepts is what Hosea is all about when he married an unfaithful wife as an analogy to Israel's rebellion. Hosea continued to love her because she belonged to him. Just like that, I see how God loves us no matter what.

I claim to be an imperfect Christian, lacking in my faith and challenged by sins often. However, God's ownership over me is something I can never deny. Therefore, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself for I belong to Him and He is a part of me (or within, or completely...). This is profound because the heart of my struggles are often how I project a view myself in my rebellion translated into God's disapproval of me. I couldn't have been more wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home