David: Antics = my life

Friday, February 25, 2005

WCC

I went to World Christian Conference this past weekend. Pastor Jimmy from Antioch Church in Waco, Texas, was the speaker. He was so radical and convicting! My prayer life has been transformed after that conference, and my walk with Him has been drastically improved. One point P Jimmy made was so have strong devotions, not just a few minutes but real time with the Lord. He said, "I need an hour a day just to keep out of sin!" How true for us guys!

What was more amazing was the drive up and down. I carpooled with a Korean couple from LA that I didn't know before the conference. The husband, Semmy, quickly became a mentor and father figure to me over those few days. I bombarded him with "son-like" questions on the drive down such as, "When did you transition from a boy to a man?" or "How did you learn to be a husband and father?" These fears and uncertainties have harmed promising relationships in the past.

His basic response was: Don't over analyze and just trust the Lord.

-----

Ph.D

My sister and dad are strongly urging me to go straight into a Ph.D program in Political Science. If it were up to me, I would do my Fulbright, do foreign policy work for 3 years in DC, then enroll into a full time Ph.D program and Johns Hopkins or Georgetown. But it's not up to me. There's a verse, I think in Proverbs: "In his heart a man makes his plans, but the Lord directs his steps." God has a way for throwing my short sighted plans out the window and blessing me with more than I could ever imagine.

I'm approaching my next step with a clear playing field, meaning that I may actually give up my job in DC or the Fulbright if He asked me to. Easy to say, hard to do.

2 Comments:

  • hey david, it's so awesome to hear how God worked in your heart during the conference, and that your prayer life has transformed. Keep trusting in God. We as human just simply cannot rationalized everything. :) Today I realized one thing: if we could fully comprehend God, then he is too small of a god! It's a good thing that we don't understand everything about him because that's just an evidence that he's bigger than us! Praise God for his provision...and for your new mentors. - Cindy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at February 26, 2005 at 12:07 AM  

  • hy dvd, i dcdd t wrt t y wtht vwls. xcpt tht t's vry hrd.
    (hey david, i decided to write to you without vowels. except that it's very hard.)

    By Blogger Danny, at February 28, 2005 at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home